Monday, February 7, 2011

MPM # 40

Week One of “Food & Budget Bootcamp” is finished and we survived and did very well. We stayed on track and on menu and on budget – save for one little change on Saturday.

I was just not in the mood for the Shepherd’s Pie I had planned… So I came up with a different idea that only required a $5 spend on some decadent submarine buns from our local bakery. The bonus is we had a fabulous meal (come back on Thursday to get the recipe) and we have enough buns frozen to have subs again in the coming weeks… A teaser about the recipe – Premium Edmonton Cheesesteak Subs featuring Grade A Alberta beef with Garlic Chipolte MayoThey were likely one of It was the best recipes I’ve ever created!

We also had the good fortune of being invited to my Dad & Step Mom’s house for dinner on Sunday… The invitation came after I’d already prepared Sunday’s meal (and had just turned the crock pot on) and I’d made Monday’s meal too!!! SO I had to shift everything over one day this week (which is FINE by me)! Given our dishwasher went on the blink Saturday morning, I’m glad my dish panned hands got out of doing dishes for a night! I feel like I should give myself the “Ms Organized Award” for the Month of February. I believe even my husband is surprised at the recent change in my organizational ability!

Note - the underline recipes are a little further down in this post. Scroll to get the goods and remember to check back Thursday for my newest kitchen creation! Thanks for stopping by and have a great week.

February 6 to 13

Monday Beefy Crock Pot Tortellini
Tuesday Hamburger Soup with Biscuits
Wednesday Egg Wraps with Tater Tots
Thursday Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls
Friday Home Made Macaroni & Cheese
Saturday Pizza Party! (my mom & niece are coming in for the weekend)
Sunday TBD

For more great menu plans, recipes, tips and tricks, check out all the fabulous links over at the Menu Plan Monday at the Org Junkie!




Hamburger Soup

½ pound hamburger
½ onion, diced
1 rib of celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can water
2 carrots, peeled & sliced
½ cup peas or large handful of snap peas roughly chopped
1 tsp beef bouillon
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp basil

½ package stuffed pasta (tortellini, ravioli, etc)

Scramble fry hamburger until nearly done. Drain well.

In a separate large pot, sauté onions, celery and garlic in about 1 tbsp of olive oil. Cook until garlic and onions just start to brown. Add cooked hamburger and sauté a few minutes more. Add tomato sauce, tomatoes and 1 can of water.
(HINT: I fill one can about ½ full, swish it around and then pour into the other tomato can and add the remaining ½ can of water before pouring into the soup pot)

Add carrots and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 minutes and then add the peas.
(HINT: You can also add baby corn, niblet corn, green beans, canned kidney beans, frozen or fresh spinach or any other vegetables you desire

Simmer all ingredients on lowish heat for about 45 minutes stirring as needed.

Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your taste. Add more water, if desired (about another ½ to 1 full can). Add stuffed pasta and simmer until done (about an additional 10 minutes).

Serve with a bit of shredded mozzarella cheese on top and fresh warm biscuits.

Serves 3 to 4 (depending on hunger levels). This recipe is actually half of the usual amount I make – it doubles well and freezes well too however, I suggest not adding the pasta before freezing. Split the soup in half and freeze without pasta.

NoteI’ve searched a long time to find a hamburger soup that I liked. After trying a few recipes, I created this one. I love it full of vegetables (I love baby corn & spinach) and my husband suggested adding the pasta to make it a more filling meal.


Baking Powder Biscuits

2 cups flour
4.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp margarine or butter
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 F

Stir dry ingredients together. Cut in margarine until crumbly. Pour in milk and stir to combine. Turn onto floured surface and knead a few minutes. Roll out and cut. Place on ungreased cookie sheet or baking stone. Bake for 12 to 16 minutes until lightly browned on top.

Makes about 12 biscuits.

Optional:
Add about ½ to ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese for cheese biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...